Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Things I'm digging: (a la Back to Her Roots blog)

1. Memorial day weekend with no plans. I had plans to go to DC to visit a friend, but due to me not feeling so hot on Thursday, I cancelled my plans. I then had time to actually catch up on things without feeling stressed about them. I slept in, cooked, shopped, read, and cleaned. After sleeping, I felt much better. Also, usually, I just manage to stress about things and not do them (silly, I know, I'm working on it), but I actually did them! A much needed break, eliminating stress and sleeping and relaxing. 


2. Speaking of cleaning, I love my purple Platex kitchen gloves! I used to hate doing dishes, and while they are still my least favorite chore, I can handle it because my hands don't get all pruny and smelly. I always thought gloves were weird and unnecessary, and they kind of remind me of my heavy-duty yellow chemistry lab gloves, but they are super useful. Plus, they are the best color in the world - purple! I also really like my dish detergent, making smelly things much better without being too strongly scented. I know it's kind of strange, but I was really appreciating them because this weekend I did a lot of cooking, and therefore a lot of cleaning, in my uber-tiny kitchen. Seriously, it's like a bite size kitchen. Note to self: next time, get a place with a bigger kitchen - or at least one big enough to have drawers and a plug. As I was washing them, I was thinking, "I'm digging these gloves. I should write a blogpost about what I'm digging!" 


3. Speaking of which, next up is the blog Back to Her Roots! That's where I got the idea for my post - she does this weekly. I discovered it the other day and cannot get enough of it. It's a mix of healthy eating, photos, fitness, wellness, her life, and other cool stuff. It has totally inspired me that I can eat healthier, because while I usually try, sometimes my foods are more about convenience (and only slightly-moderately healthy). Admittedly, I did also have an additional part time job until last week, so now I'm feeling like I have a lot more time to be more focused on cooking (and eating!) healthy things. Plus, she's refreshingly real, and pretty funny. And all her food looks so delicious! 


4. My anatomy course. I'm going to Ohio State for medical school in the fall (YAY!!! :)  )  and because of their redesigned curriculum, they require an anatomy course. So, I've signed up for an online class, where I watch prerecorded lectures and do a virtual lab dissection using nifty software. I've done the lower limb so far (pelvis down) and have my first test scheduled Thursday. As always, studying the body always leaves me amazed at how awesomely our bodies were created by the Maker. Every time I study, this is what's going through my mind: 'WOW! That's so cool! So much information ..." on repeat. Also, my professor is pretty funny and tells us relevant interesting facts and Greek origins of words, which I love.  They totally help me understand and study the massive amount of material. 


5. My AmeriCorps friends. They are all pretty awesome and we are coming to the end of our time together. It was nice to have a potluck in the park on Friday! Fresh fruits and veggies, delicious desserts, quinoa x2, Frisbee, and 'memories games'. Although I think it took us a little while to warm up to each other, now I really enjoy spending time with them and even hang out with them outside of the days we already get together for service/training! 


I pretty much just wanted an excuse to talk about these amazing things with the blogosphere, and I was digging the format (get it?!). Besides, I'm not always super deep, and I need every excuse I can get to try and blog more. 


What are you digging? Or are thankful for? 

2 comments:

  1. H

    i sweetes........../are you a"DR
    "yet?
    I know,just a little longer but since I had a stroke last weeek the day after your birthday wanted to tell you how I kept track of thr dste while in the howpital I just kept counting how many daya since my sweet Kelseys birthday!and now that you have learned so much about the body you know what I mean I have an occluded carotid artery which means surgery soon yo fix that problem....yucks!and I cant go see guys and dolls with beth tmw!keep up the good work...you are so much needed by the world.....hugs and kisses grams

    ReplyDelete
  2. interesting book I just read hotel at the cornrt og sweet and sorrow..I reslly liked it..........

    ReplyDelete